Let's Encrypt certificates do not work on XP in IE8 or Chrome

I’ve decided that I will post a warning on the official Facebook page that the website will become inaccessible to XP users from December onwards. From that point on I will switch to using the Let’s Encrypt certificate completely and change the SSLCipherSuite options to drop Triple DES. Windows XP will always have a place in my heart but after reading that Google itself intends to drop support completely for it in Chrome in the near future, I have decided it’s for the best. Onwards with security! Posted here:
“To those still using Windows XP: please be aware that the forums and website will soon become inaccessible on XP due to the fact it is becoming a nightmare to continue supporting SSL for it. This will take effect from 1 December 2015. Although I understand that it is very useful to host VTMR from an old XP laptop and download skins when on the go, it really is unsafe to continue doing this! If need be, use a system with a more recent OS and download all required packs to a USB drive before hosting from an XP machine. I am aware Firefox on XP will continue to work with the website after this date but I do not know how long this will be and do not intend to actively monitor this situation after this date. -Sam”

3 Likes