Issue Generating Cert on A Small Orange

Currently, I am unable to generate the cert and key on my web host server (A Small Orange). This is on shared hosting. Whenever running the manual script, I receive the following message:
Command “python setup.py egg_info” failed with error code 1

I already know that the web host cannot update pip since this is on shared hosting. Is there any other way I can generate the cert and key for use on their server?

Thanks!

You should be able to run some of the alternate clients - particularly the bash ones.

Thanks for your info! I will give them a try.

How do you recommend running this from the desktop? I just need the certificate and key generated, which I would then send onto my web host. I have downloaded the getssl script files; however, I did not see how to run the script from a desktop. Appreciate any help! Thanks!

What is your desktop ?

if linux, then I’d run the getssl bash script ( as that will obtain the certificate and automatically upload it for you if you have SSH access )

If you can modify your DNS through an API then again the bash scripts will perform the DNS challenge for you ( that way you don’t need to upload any verification values to the server, you will just get the certs )

If windows, then it gets a little more tricky, and it depends how good you are with the CLI on windows, or if better to use an online config ( personally I’d prefer to use a linux virtualbox on your windows machine than an online system, that’s just a personal choice though - as it’s more secure, and can let you automate everything).

Ok, thanks for your response. Currently, I only have access to Windows and have used Putty to SSH into my site. Using that technology, I was able to create the getssl config files. However, nothing seems to happen when running the next script, getssl mydomain.com

Should I download and install ubuntu? And if so, I assume the latest version. Or is there another linux virtualbox you would recommend? I am on a Windows 10 desktop. Thanks a lot!

If you can SSH onto your site, why not use one of the bash scripts directly on your server / site ? That should enable you to create the certificate on the server, is probably the easiest solution.

I could give that a try. I will see what is available. I assume you would find the bash scripts within the root directory… Thanks!

There are 3 bash scripts listed in the “alternate clients

Getssl - one I wrote ( so slightly biased :wink: ) and was designed for installing certs on remote servers which wouldn’t run then official client

acme.sh - a popular base script, which is relatively constantly developed and maintained.

LetsEncrypt.sh - the first ( I think ) of all the alternate bash scripts. Another perfectly good script to use.

You can simply upload them to the server (not in the publicly accessible area) - change permissions to 700 (to allow run access ) - and run them.

Great, thanks! I did upload your script, getssl into a folder I created in the root directory /home/evoluti3. I did change permission on the getssl script and ran through SSH. It did create /.getssl folder with the config files. Do I need to change anything else to generate the cert and key? When running getssl mydomain.com, nothing appears to be created. Thanks!

Yes, you will need to edit the config files.

If you run "getssl -c yourdomain.com " it will create /.getssl/yourdomain.com and in that there will be a config file. Edit that to point to the correct root directory ( i.e. where your your index.html for your website would be and /.well-known/acme-challenge on the end )

you can then run “getssl yourdomain.com” and it should create the certificates for you in /.getssl/yourdomain.com/ folder

Ok, I will edit that config file and run again. I will let you know if I still have any issue afterwards. Appreciate all your help!

OK - there is basic help etc on https://github.com/srvrco/getssl if I’m not around ( I’m UK based, so getting late here ) … will check in the morning though.

Thanks! Appreciate it! Have a good evening!

Just an update. I ran the scripts; however, I am not sure if it created all the files. I checked in the .getssl/mydomain.com folder and can only see one cert (mydomain.com.crt) file. I thought there are a few files as well as keys. Could those files be anywhere else? Thanks!

The files won’t be anywhere else, no. I’ll message you so that we don’t clutter up the forum here with debug info …

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.