Invalid email address: www.ccloudd.co.uk

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

I have lost/deleted the private key of the certificate. I thought i could generate a new one to be used with the domain i got a while back. I am very new to this so I am probably not doing it right. Some advice would be appreciated.

My domain is: www.ccloudd.co.uk

I ran this command: sudo certbot certonly --nginx

It produced this output: Invalid email address: www.ccloudd.co.uk.

My web server is (include version): nginx

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): ubuntu v20

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: google domains?

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):certbot 1.32.2

Well, that indeed is an invalid email address? I'm not sure what's unclear about this error to be honest. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Also it look s like you are using HTTP-01 Challenge and Let's Debug show NoRecords Fatal here https://letsdebug.net/www.ccloudd.co.uk/1345679

3 Likes

Hi @Johng117, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

Please show the dialog that triggered that error message.

3 Likes

Oh, i deleted the previous ip addresses that i had associated with it. I'll enter the new ip and see whether that works.
Thanks

3 Likes

A couple of questions.

If I have deleted/lost the private key file, does that mean i cant get another certificate for the domain i mentioned above? Would I have to prove the domain was mine before trying to get a replacement certificate? I am not sure I am understanding this process.

No. It just means the cert you got with that private key can't be used (because they are a pair)

Yes. You must always prove control of the domain to get a cert.

Right now it does not look like you have a working public website. You don't have any A or AAAA record in the DNS.

4 Likes