I am new to SSL certificate management

I don’t aware about 90 day policy of Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate. Today morning when I tried to access my domain hosted in Vultr Server, the chrome browser returned certificate error.

I accessed my server via PuTTY and found this command using crontab -e
0 */12 * * * letsencrypt renew && service nginx-sp reload

I searched over the Internet and can’t get the knowledge for this line.
Can anyone help me explain this, please?
Has this code properly renewed the certificate? If so when?

Hi,

This line is just means it will renew your certificate using certbot automatically & then reload your nginx…

You didn’t give us ANY information except the fact that you have a certificate error… so, I guess not.

Thank you

Thank you so much. But the Nginx Reload was not done.
Today morning I tried to open my site in Chrome Browser but it replied Certificate Error.
Then I checked the certificate validity and found it was expired.

Then I Googled to fix the issue and as per advice from a forum, I checked cron job using crontab -e command line.
And I found this line. But I am not able to understand the code.
I want to replace the code to that should check and renew SSL every week Sunday Morning.
Can you help me to write a code?

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

https://crontab.guru/every-sunday

0 0 * * SUN letsencrypt renew && service nginx-sp reload

That’s the cronjob

Your certificate is not renewed might be due to several reasons. and you must find out by yourself… (only put on a cronjob or change execute time will not resolve the issue)

You’ll need to try to renew the certificate manually & see what’s going on…

Thank you

I restarted the server manually and it’s going fine.
So maybe the Nginx cron failed to run.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.