HTTP 200 OK but showing unauthorized?

This is taking place on cpanel WHM server protected by CloudFlare (so the IP address is hidden).

When running the letsencrypt software to get a certificate, I get a 403 error that it is unauthorized. I am able to see the server hitting the verification file, though:

66.133.109.36 - - [05/Jun/2016:23:52:10 -0400] “GET /.well-known/acme-challenge/z7SsZLN7kxTE******************************** HTTP/1.1” 200 87 “-” “Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Let’s Encrypt validation server; +https://www.letsencrypt.org)”

Any ideas? I have opened up a support/issue on github for a plugin that I am using, but I was getting this error, even without the plugin and running it manually via command line:

Just a fast guess, but maybe the server is set to NOT serve files/directories that are hidden. (In UNIX/Linux the leading dot in the file name means hidden file/directory.)

Try loading that file, or another one you create, with your browser. Just to be sure, try loading both a text file (myfile.txt) and an HTML file (myfile.html). You could also see it you get an error trying to browse to a file in your web root that is hidden, for example “.myfile.html” {be sure to include the leading dot in the file name.}

If your server will not serve hidden resources I don’t know the answer to the problem for HTTP verification. Takes more work for you, but try the DNS method instead, if you can.

Good luck in the process.

I’m just getting started on my reading, and have yet to make a cert, let alone test one.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.