How to submit certificate request and private key generated in Virtualmin

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: agrowleds.com (I will also be doing this for diymicrogrow.com)

I ran this command: Generating self-signed certificate and private key

It produced this output: -----BEGIN CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----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-----END CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----
Plus a private key

My web server is (include version): Virtualmin Virtual Servers
Version 6.17, server administrator mode

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: it's private hosting

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): no ssh access

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): virtualMin

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

FYI, there is provision for auto-renew because other domains already in place never need attention, findable-design.com is one.

1 Like

Welcome to the Let's Encrypt Community :slightly_smiling_face:

What's the question here?

3 Likes

It sure looks like Virtualmin supports getting certs from Let's Encrypt directly:

You should really never use the "generate CSR and have CA sign it" work flow with Let's Encrypt.

4 Likes

The certificates provided within virtualmin are self signed. I need to know where I can submit the request and private key so can get an official one.

The only one to whom you ever submit your private key is your hosting provider if absolutely necessary for them to install your certificate and private key. Please click on the link that I provided to understand how Let's Encrypt works with the ACME protocol.

2 Likes

You don't. That isn't how you get a cert from Let's Encrypt. You get a cert from Let's Encrypt by using client software (which should be included in Virtualmin; it was five years ago) to request one and satisfy the challenge to validate that you control the domain name in question.

Edit: Virtualmin's announcement for version 5 says that Let's Encrypt support is now included, and they're now up to version 6.2.2. Looks like this is where you'd get it:

3 Likes

Ah. Problem solved, and with a much simpler solution. The key to this was the screenshot showing a tab for Lets Encrypt which was already in my Virtualmin dashboard. Both sites now have upgraded certificates. Thank you both for your help.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.