How do I force certbot to issue my certificate for a new domain and not an old one?

@Osiris

Now do you see why I gave David a command to create the proper certificate under the correct name?

:grin:

1 Like

No? I don't? I don't care about the actual name of the cert. What difference does adding or removing mail.? Exactly, nothing.

2 Likes

where do I delete it?

1 Like

@Osiris

Oh, really?

The way I see it: if David runs this command:

a new (and clean and functional) certificate will be created under frick.blog.

Then, the cruft:

can be safely removed.

@Frick-David

Don't mind @Osiris and I. It wouldn't be a normal day if we didn't have a healthy debate about something. :blush:

1 Like

Okay! Sorry, I did not know if those numbers were sensitive so I redacted them. The issue was for my mail server whereby I could correctly send emails, but not recieve them as the mail servers try to send it to davidfrick.xyz, which no longer exists. I checked all my mail server configs, which appear correct so I am not too sure why davidfrick.xyz is even involved. My DNS records no longer point to that domain ..etc etc

2 Likes

The reason is because you manually removed things rather than using certbot delete. See my post above about certbot update_symlinks to get started. That should fix your symlink woes. We're assuming you manually modified the live folder at some point.

Okay, that makes sense. I ran the delete certs command and got further. However, it says the fullchain + chain for mail.frick.blog does not match so I will run this command to reset it

certbot certonly --cert-name frick.blog --manual --preferred-challenges dns -d "frick.blog,www.frick.blog,mail.frick.blog,david.frick.blog,www.david.frick.blog" --keep

1 Like

That will acquire a new certificate for you named frick.blog in certbot, which will be free from the broken certificates. Did you run certbot update_symlinks? Do that first.

The leftovers from those certs can be removed anyway? It's the old cert plus a few 001 002 et c extra certs..

1 Like

That may not be as simple as that.
It depends heavily on the other services that are using an LE cert (which are tied to a specific path).

1 Like

I did, not errors. Just mentioning saying a log file which contains no errors as far as I can tell. Is there a way to test that this is not good to go?

1 Like

Hence replacing the certificate first. Keep up guys.

1 Like

WHERE does it say that? Please, show us an actual error message, so we can debug what's really going on......

Please stop bickering about the name, some irrelevant errors and such. Can we please focus on the actual issue at hand?

2 Likes

Run:

certbot certificates

That will tell us if the live folder has been sanitized.

1 Like

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

Found the following certs:
Certificate Name: frick.blog
Serial Number: 38977c9346be537358a23c4dee24b363b2a
Domains: frick.blog david.frick.blog mail.frick.blog www.david.frick.blog www.frick.blog
Expiry Date: 2021-03-06 21:49:37+00:00 (VALID: 89 days)
Certificate Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/frick.blog/fullchain.pem
Private Key Path: /etc/letsencrypt/live/frick.blog/privkey.pem

I think we are good to go.

2 Likes

Of course they don't match. There's a hardcoded cert file in live.

1 Like

Beautiful! :smiley:

That's what we wanted to see.

1 Like

No it's not, just you...

2 Likes

Yes, it no longer exists:

nslookup -q=mx davidfrick.xyz
*** can't find davidfrick.xyz: Server failed

But why is anyone trying to email you at that domain name?
How is that related to the cert on this system?

1 Like