How do I create a SSL cert running on usermin (port 20000)

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:
miatvc.ca

My web server is (include version):
miniserv.pl
The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Ubuntu 21.10 (impish)
My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
yes
I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
webmin/usermin
The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):
certbot 1.12.0

I am looking for a way to secure this: https://miatvc.ca:20000

My brave browser will only connect to the site if I use an incognito window.

That website doesn't answer to me.

Anyhow. Once you have a certificate for a domain name, you can use it on each and every port you want.

1 Like

...and assuming that usermin is part of Webmin (as Google seems to think it is), the Webmin docs would appear to answer the question.

2 Likes

I revoked the miatvc.ca certificate.

I recreated it for use in my apache config file.

I tested it with ssl labs and it says it is not trusted for providing another certificate (eagleoneonline.ca) which is another domain I own. Why is it always generating a second cert within

https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze.html?d=miatvc.ca&latest

Your website is working fine...

You don't need two certificates for two ports. You can use the same one.

got it working. I found a bug in webmin.

I had to recreate the letsencrypt certificate using the webmin certbot plugin. I then told webmin to copy the cert to the usermin config file.

I recreated the cert for the other domain eagleononline.ca. Webmin copied that cert, key and ca into it's own config file, overwriting the proper one. I'll be contacting the author of webmin.

1 Like