Help me my site says too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: selz.shop

I ran this command: Generate SSL Certificate for both www & non-www version of domain

It produced this output:
ERROR: CREATE_ORDER:LEClient\Exceptions\LEConnectorException: Invalid response: 429 (Error creating new order :: too many certificates already issued for exact set of domains: selz.shop,www.selz.shop: see https://letsencrypt.org/docs/rate-limits/) in /home/selzshop/domains/selz.shop/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-letsencrypt-ssl/lib/Exceptions/LEConnectorException.php:80
Stack trace:
#0 /home/selzshop/domains/selz.shop/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-letsencrypt-ssl/lib/LEConnector.php(165): LEClient\Exceptions\LEConnectorException::InvalidResponseException(Array)
#1 /home/selzshop/domains/selz.shop/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-letsencrypt-ssl/lib/LEConnector.php(193): LEClient\LEConnector->request(ā€˜POSTā€™, ā€˜https://acme-v0ā€¦ā€™, ā€˜{ā€œprotectedā€:"eā€¦ā€™)
#2 /home/selzshop/domains/selz.shop/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-letsencrypt-ssl/lib/LEOrder.php(178): LEClient\LEConnector->post(ā€˜https://acme-v0ā€¦ā€™, ā€˜{ā€œprotectedā€:"eā€¦ā€™)
#3 /home/selzshop/domains/selz.shop/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-letsencrypt-ssl/lib/LEOrder.php(158): LEClient\LEOrder->createOrder(Array, ā€˜ā€™, ā€˜ā€™)
#4 /home/selzshop/domains/selz.shop/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-letsencrypt-ssl/lib/LEClient.php(171): LEClient\LEOrder->__construct(Object(LEClient\LEConnector), 1, Array, ā€˜selz.shopā€™, Array, ā€˜rsa-2048ā€™, ā€˜ā€™, ā€˜ā€™)
#5 /home/selzshop/domains/selz.shop/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-letsencrypt-ssl/classes/le-core.php(181): LEClient\LEClient->getOrCreateOrder(ā€˜selz.shopā€™, Array)
#6 /home/selzshop/domains/selz.shop/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-letsencrypt-ssl/classes/le-core.php(136): WPLE_Core->wple_generate_order()
#7 /home/selzshop/domains/selz.shop/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-letsencrypt-ssl/classes/le-core.php(104): WPLE_Core->wple_generate_verify_ssl()
#8 /home/selzshop/domains/selz.shop/public_html/wp-content/plugins/wp-letsencrypt-ssl/admin/le_admin.php(435): WPLE_Core->__construct(Array)
#9 /home/selzshop/domains/selz.shop/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(287): WPLE_Admin->wple_save_email_generate_certs(ā€™ā€™)
#10 /home/selzshop/domains/selz.shop/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(311): WP_Hook->apply_filters(NULL, Array)
#11 /home/selzshop/domains/selz.shop/public_html/wp-includes/plugin.php(478): WP_Hook->do_action(Array)
#12 /home/selzshop/domains/selz.shop/public_html/wp-admin/admin.php(175): do_action(ā€˜admin_initā€™)
#13 {main}

My web server is (include version): SSD Based Cloud Web Hosting

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Cloud Linux

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: GoogieHost

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I donā€™t know): I donā€™t know

Iā€™m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): This is the control panel Iā€™ve used in googiehost https://cloud.googiehost.com:2222/user/ssl/paste

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if youā€™re using Certbot):I donā€™t know that

Youā€™ve issued five certificates on August 13th and 15th. Please use one of those if you require a Letā€™s Encrypt certificate. However, you also got numerous other certificates issued recently through ZeroSSL and some other CA, so you could also use those two.

1 Like

@Osiris
Iā€™m always learning new things from you. Never knew about the deduplicate parameter for crt.sh. I usually use q, but I noticed you used Identity. Do you know why Letā€™s Encrypt always generates 2 certificates. I did notice the poison in the first one generated. Is that one a precert?

@freessltools.com Let's Encrypt doesn't generate 2, one is the pre-certificate and one is the actual issued leaf certificate

1 Like

Those are actually two certificates :wink: The pre-cert and definitive cert are both signed on their own.

Pre-certs indeed. Let's Encrypt opted to use embedded SCTs in their certificates in contrast to SCTs transmitted through OCSP or within the TLS handshake from the webserver.

2 Likes

Well, yes, but I wouldnā€™t describe the pre-certificate as an actual certificate since it has the poison extension set and only exists for transparency reasons to get the SCT for the ā€œrealā€ certificate.

Technically you are correct though.

Iā€™m used to explaining it to people who donā€™t have any clue what critical extensions are :wink:

1 Like

Personally, any X.509 certificate is a certificate. Self signed, poisoned or actually useful, personally I donā€™t care when using the term ā€œcertificateā€ :wink:

Even more because signing the pre-cert also costs load on the Letā€™s Encrypt infrastructure, notably the HSMs.

1 Like

That's what I was thinking based on the poison extension from the article I was reading from

That's what I was thinking based on reading through some of this article by @jsha:

I'm relatively new to the networking/security world. I only recently dove into this area when I decided to code my own acme client in light of the selling-out of zerossl and sslforfree. My encryption background is actually related to biometrics. :smile: I did work many years ago as a test and measurement engineer specializing in testing spec implementation for fibre telecom. Reading through the IETF specs brings back memories of reading through testing specs. :crazy_face:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.