Getting cert used to work, now failing (centos 7, nginx)

Last winter, I successfully got a number of certs on this particular server. I hadn’t needed another cert for a while, but just tried yesterday and it failed.

I ran the same command I used to:

./letsencrypt-auto certonly -a manual -d contracorners.com -d www.contracorners.com --server https://acme-v01.api.letsencrypt.org/directory --agree-dev-preview

And it displayed:

Updating letsencrypt and virtual environment dependencies.....

for a while, then exited with an error:

Command "/path/.local/share/letsencrypt/bin/python2.7 -u -c "import setuptools, tokenize;__file__='/tmp/pip-build-I8D0qh/cryptography/setup.py';exec(compile(getattr(tokenize, 'open', open)(__file__).read().replace('\r\n', '\n'), __file__, 'exec'))" install --record /tmp/pip-uH6TeV-record/install-record.txt --single-version-externally-managed --compile --install-headers /path/.local/share/letsencrypt/include/site/python2.7/cryptography" failed with error code 1 in /tmp/pip-build-I8D0qh/cryptography/

Has something fundamentally changed with how to get certs? When looking at the “getting started” link, I now see “certbot” as a suggested solution, which I don’t remember seeing from last winter. Should I start using that? Will that cause a problem with the certs and other software I’ve already gotten installed?

Anyway, how can I move forward?

(I also did a letsencrypt-auto renew -nvv --standalone command, and it said everything was up to date, but I’m pretty sure that it’s time for at least a couple of them to need to be renewed. I don’t know if that is related or another topic.)

I tried the same command again and it worked this time. I’m not sure what happened the first time.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.