Failed to receive authorization for www

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:
Let's Encrypt feature on Plesk Obsidian 18.0.32

It produced this output:
A certificate was issued for the base domain but for the www host the message was 'failed to retrieve authorization'. image

My web server is (include version):
Apache 2.4.29-1ubuntu4.14

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS‬

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
Digital Ocean Droplet

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
Yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.32

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):
Not known

1 Like

Your site, including requests for the www subdomain, is using a certificate without the www subdomain included.

However, you actually do have such a certificate and also a wildcard certificate issued on the same day:

Use one of the other certificates and the www subdomain will be fine.

1 Like

Thanks Osiris. I changed the site to redirect www to the base domain name when I couldn't get the www certificate.

I had several earlier attempts to get the wildcard version, but it usually ended with an error message that the certificate couldn't be fetched. There is only one certificate installed and it's for the base domain name.

BTW. the process was trying to get Plesk to update its DNS for a _acme-challenge TXT record. But I'm not using Plesk for the DNS. So I added the record to the external DNS.

1 Like