Error while trying to generate a nginx cert

Im working on installing on my server pterodactyl and i have a problem with nginx cert generation .

here the logs (ps. The domain is change only because i dont wont to publish it)

root@yexoserver:/home/yexo# certbot certonly --nginx -d
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Error while running nginx -c /etc/nginx/nginx.conf -t.

nginx: [emerg] cannot load certificate "/etc/ssl/.pem": BIO_new_file() failed (SSL: error:80000002:system library::No such file or directory:calling fopen(/etc/ssl/.pem, r) error:10000080:BIO routines::no such file)
nginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed

The nginx plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration.
The error was: MisconfigurationError('Error while running nginx -c /etc/nginx/nginx.conf -t.\n\nnginx: [emerg] cannot load certificate "/etc/ssl/.pem": BIO_new_file() failed (SSL: error:80000002:system library::No such file or directory:calling fopen(/etc/ssl/.pem, r) error:10000080:BIO routines::no such file)\nnginx: configuration file /etc/nginx/nginx.conf test failed\n')
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.

Welcome to the community @Yexoo

I don't know what pterodactyl is but your nginx config does not look right. You must have a working HTTP site to use the --nginx plug-in as it uses the HTTP Challenge method to get a cert.

You can check your nginx config with this:

nginx -t

You will need to correct any errors. You should see the same error Certbot saw:

4 Likes

Hello @Yexoo,

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

Thank you for assisting us in helping YOU!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.