Error while Installing certbot - apace2ctl

Hello i hope anyone can help me its the first time for me trying to get an Let*s encrypt Certificate. I used google on my error results but wasnt able to understand if the solutions will work in my case and due its security think i would prefer tipps from some ppl who know.

I have serveral Domains who are all pointing on one server , My Apace2 configs direct them to seperate Folders which contain the datas for the seperate Domains
Example: www.oflol.eu.conf

<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName www.oflol.eu
ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost
DocumentRoot /var/www/Oflol/
<Directory /var/www/Oflol/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Require all granted

ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log
LogLevel warn
CustomLog /var/log/apache2/access.log combined
ServerSignature On

My domain is: tkablage.eu / tkablage.de / oflol.eu .....

I tryed to install chertbot following this guide Certbot - Ubuntubionic Apache everthing works smooth till it will start the apache2ctl.

I ran this command on Step 7 : certbot --apache

It produced this output:
Select the appropriate number [1-2] then [enter] (press 'c' to cancel): 1
Keeping the existing certificate (I tryed to run this serveral times hope i just messed up before thats why there are serveral certificates)
Deploying Certificate to VirtualHost /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/laila-tim.eu-le-ssl.conf
Deploying Certificate to VirtualHost /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/www.laila-tim.eu-le-ssl.conf
Deploying Certificate to VirtualHost /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/oflol.eu-le-ssl.conf
Deploying Certificate to VirtualHost /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/www.oflol.eu-le-ssl.conf
Deploying Certificate to VirtualHost /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/tkablage.de-le-ssl.conf
Deploying Certificate to VirtualHost /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/tkablage.eu-le-ssl.conf
Deploying Certificate to VirtualHost /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/www.tkablage.eu-le-ssl.conf
Deploying Certificate to VirtualHost /etc/apache2/conf-enabled/www.tkablage.de-le-ssl.conf
Error while running apache2ctl graceful.
httpd not running, trying to start
Action 'graceful' failed.
The Apache error log may have more information.

(98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:443
(98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443
no listening sockets available, shutting down
AH00015: Unable to open logs

Unable to restart apache using ['apache2ctl', 'graceful']
Rolling back to previous server configuration...

(98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address [::]:443
(98)Address already in use: AH00072: make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443

Unable to restart apache using ['apache2ctl', 'graceful']
Encountered exception during recovery: certbot.errors.MisconfigurationError: Error while running apache2ctl graceful.

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: netcup

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): Yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): No

1 Like

The problem appears to be that you have OpenVPN-AS running on port 443.

Certbot tries to setup HTTPS Apache virtualhosts on port 443 as well, and this leads to a conflict: Apache can't start because OpenVPN-AS is already using that port.

Could you consider relocating OpenVPN-AS from port 443 to another port?

3 Likes

omg crap thank you verry this was it and fixed it.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.