It produced this output:

error: snap "certbot-nginx" not found

My web server is (include version):
nginx 1.14.2-2+deb10u4

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Debian 10

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
no

This is a newly spun up x86_64 server running Debian 10. I have made sure all packages are up to date.

I created this thread separate from the other one because the environment in that thread is Arm, while mine is x86_64.

1 Like

How about?:
sudo snap install certbot

If not, what shows?:
snap find certbot

2 Likes

sudo snap install certbot installed certbot successfully. It appears to be only certbot-nginx that is problematic.

2 Likes

Welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:
[better late than never - lol]

Please also show the output of (anyways to compare):
snap find certbot

2 Likes

Something has gone wrong with the Certbot instruction generator. There was a content migration to a new website system recently and it might be related to that.

There is no such snap as certbot-nginx.

The correct instructions can be found on an archived version here: Certbot - Ubuntufocal Nginx

We'll try to get this fixed soon.

3 Likes

There is also no such snap as certbot-apache and snap install certbot --classic gives a version of certbot without apache plugin.

Facebook welcomes you to the club of "nuking yourself off the net" :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Hi @codesalatdev and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

Even if "latest certbot snap release now doesn't include an --apache plugin" is true (haven't checked; don't rely on Apache much), one can always use certbot with --webroot [with any web service].
So, I don't see how that nukes anybody to anywhere.
Unless... you are implying that Apache users aren't capable of handling the issued certificate by hand?

2 Likes

If users go to your install how-to page, select both OS and Webserver and the instructions just don't work because there is no installation candidate, I would call that issue pretty substantial. So while "nuking" was merely a joke (taken a little bit too seriously), relying on users to find an alternative way to install certbot despite the official docs saying otherwise is IMHO a pretty low standard to go by in the first place.
This has nothing to do with Apache users, since installing certbot is the issue, not handling it as you imply.

1 Like
2 Likes

Thank you. I read that. I wrote my comment to add the information that certbot-apache was also missing. I didn't intent to start a convo about handling certificates by hand.

2 Likes

Ok, we can all agree the instruction site is definitely broken.
I now see:
sudo snap install certbot-apache
then
sudo certbot --apache

Which is a clear contradiction: Install "C-A" then run "C" with -A.
[there is no "C-A" and "C" was never installed]

2 Likes

The Certbot snap comes with both the Apache and nginx plugins built-in.

If you don't see the Apache plugin after installing the Certbot snap, it most likely means that you have a second copy of Certbot installed and it is taking priority in your PATH.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.