"Error establishing a database connection" after Certbot installation

Hi everyone, I have a problem, I state that I don’t understand anything about linux, following a video I installed a web server with ubuntu version 18.04.2 with cpu Intel Xeon Processor 2GHz then I installed ispconfig to manage sites, until yesterday afternoon is everything went well, last night I realized that by connecting to the sites they all returned the following error “Error establishing a database connection” the same error me since I try to access the ispconfig panel, something I did two days ago was to install cerbot to get ssl certificates for my sites … from this page https://certbot.eff.org/lets-encrypt/ubuntubionic-apache.
I have access to the shell.

Hi @mymm73

if you use ISPConfig, you should always use the integrated solution, not an own installed certbot. That's always bad.

--

And please answer all of the following questions:

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is:

I ran this command:

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

My domain is: tradingforum.it

I ran this command: I ran all the commands in this guide https://certbot.eff.org/lets-encrypt/ubuntubionic-apache

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version):ubuntu 18.04.2

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):ubuntu 18.04.2

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:tophost.it/

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): I use ispconfig 3 the precise version I don’t remember

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot): Cerbot 0.31.0

ISPConfig has it's own domain management. So if you use Certbot, that breaks your IPSConfig.

--> wrong setup, no database connection.

So restore your domain in ISPConfig and create there a certificate.

I can no longer access ispconfig

the only gateway to my server is through Putty

Then you have to ask your hoster.

Looks like your usage of Certbot has broken your ISPConfig.

I’m a bit confused when you say hoster you mean the domain provider, or server?

You are correct: If you have root access, it’s your job to install and manage your server. So reinstall your ISPConfig.

so I lost all the work I did there is no other alternative?

Use your backup. If you have one. If you don't have one, then ... next time, first create a backup. These are basics having root access.

thanks for your time

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.