DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up A for www.cdn-ext.rainfall.one - check that a DNS record exists for this domain; DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up AAAA for www.cdn-ext.rainfall.one - check that a DNS record exists for this domain

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: http://cdn-ext.rainfall.one/

I ran this command: sudo certbot

It produced this output: Certbot failed to authenticate some domains (authenticator: nginx). The Certificate Authority reported these problems:
Domain: www.cdn-ext.rainfall.one
Type: dns
Detail: DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up A for www.cdn-ext.rainfall.one - check that a DNS record exists for this domain; DNS problem: NXDOMAIN looking up AAAA for www.cdn-ext.rainfall.one - check that a DNS record exists for this domain

My web server is (include version): nginx 1.18.0

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):

So your main domain cdn-ext.rainfall.one exists, but the subdomain www.cdn-ext.rainfall.one does not.

5 Likes

Hi @amol, and welcome to the LE community forum :slight_smile:

It seems that your nginx config is using both (cdn-ext.rainfall.one and www.cdn-ext.rainfall.one) names.
And certbot is trying to obtain a certificate for them both.
But, as mentioned, only one of the names resolves via DNS.
All names that are to be used on the cert must be validated.
Using HTTP-01 authentication requires a workable HTTP site [which requires DNS].

nslookup cdn-ext.rainfall.one 8.8.8.8
Name:    cdn-ext.rainfall.one
Address: 54.87.167.252

nslookup www.cdn-ext.rainfall.one 8.8.8.8
*** dns.google can't find www.cdn-ext.rainfall.one: Non-existent domain
3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.