Creating certificates through certbot - creating two certificates with two different entries in the registry

My domain is: blockedge.network
Note: But I'm trying to create the certs for the subdomains
I ran this command: sudo certbot certonly --dns-route53 --dns-route53-propagation-seconds 30 -d blockedge.network -d *.blockedge.network --non-interactive --agree-tos -m support@blockedge.io

It produced this output: Certificate got created but twice

Note: In the certificate registry I see two certs got created like below

My web server is (include version): Nginx

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 20

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: AWS

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 0.31.0

I'm not sure what the "certificate registry" is, but if you're referring to something like crt.sh, it will typically have two entries, one for the "pre-certificate" and one for the issued certificate.

5 Likes

Thanks @danb35 for a quick response. But looks it is not happening for another domain which we are creating that too with letsencrypt. We are able to see only a single entry for that domain.

crt.sh reports 2 certs with deduplicating enabled today, a few minutes after each other.

2 Likes

Is it possible you ran the command twice? Can you check the logs in /var/log/letsencrypt folder? There is one log file for each certbot run. Let us know if you find two log entries about a minute apart with those command parameters.

5 Likes

Have you verified that the two entries are not listing the same certificate?
[compare their serial numbers]

1 Like

Yeah, the two leaf certs in crt.sh created 1m11s apart have diff serials

2 Likes

The two leaf certificates are:
6845455239 2022-06-01 12:00:05 UTC
6845448015 2022-06-01 11:58:54 UTC

Checking the logs for that info may help. Either a command was run twice, or two people at the same company tried to get new certs.

2 Likes

Is certbot running on more than one system?
If not, is certbot being run more than once on the same system?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.