Conflict in expiry dates

Hi. I have a current SSL certificate for my site that I installed on my Wordpress site using the SSL Zen plugin. I renewed it about three weeks ago, again using SSL Zen.

When I check the expiry date on my Worpress dashboard, it shows I have 69 days remaining so it would not expire until sometime in early December, 2020. But when I check the expiry date by clicking on the padlock on the address bar and checking under "certificate", it shows an expiry date of Oct. 3, 2020, the expiry date of the original SSL certificate.

Is this the way the system works - the new certificate will be applied to the site and the new expiry date will appear under the padlock when the old certificate expires? Or will I have a problem? I want to be sure I did everything correctly as this is the first expiry/renewal for this website. And around October 3 is a critical time for the website, so I want to be sure I haven't created a problem for myself.

Thanks.

1 Like

Hi @Herb

your domain name is required to check that.

Looks that you have only created a new certificate, but not installed it.

May be you have to restart your webserver. A restart is required to use the new certificate.

1 Like

Wow. Fast response! The URL is https://alevelplayingfield.ca

2 Likes

Yep, that's critical - https://check-your-website.server-daten.de/?q=alevelplayingfield.ca#ct-logs

You have created a new certificate:

Issuer not before not after Domain names LE-Duplicate next LE
Let's Encrypt Authority X3 2020-09-05 2020-12-04 alevelplayingfield.ca - 1 entries
Let's Encrypt Authority X3 2020-07-06 2020-10-04 alevelplayingfield.ca - 1 entries

But you don't use it, instead, you use a 8-days valid certificate:

CN=alevelplayingfield.ca
expires in 8 days	alevelplayingfield.ca - 1 entry

So check that plugin to find the reason why the new certificate isn't used.

2 Likes

This is a terrific forum. I'll check the plugin and see what is going on. I'm glad I asked, because I was tempted to just wait and see what happened, but I was uneasy and with reason.
Thanks very much. Great service!
Have a good day.

2 Likes

When it comes to generating certificates, you can always verify your sanity by viewing your complete certificate history at:

If you see your new certificate there, you know that you successfully generated the certificate.

1 Like

Thanks. Sanity is a good thing!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.