Changing domain settings for certs?

My domain is: npsonline.org

I ran this command: certbot renew --pre-hook "service nginx stop" --post-hook "service nginx start"

It produced this output: Add this text to domain to prove ownership

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

The issue we are having is that our systems administrator left, and they eliminated the position.
I am a network tech trying to keep this ship running. Our certificates for all of our mdm and internal servers are expired, and after a lot of digging and discover I found that they were setup with lets encrypt. The issue is no documentation and the admin used the domain npsonline.org in all our certs. However the ownership of the domain has expired and we no longer have access to it. Is there anyway to point it to some other domain we can buy or our primary schools domain?

Hi @NPScgsa

first start with some required basics:

Then you can't renew certificates with that domain name.

You can create certificates with domain names you control.

Conclusion:

• Organize your domains / subdomains (a plan like olddomain1 -> newdomain1 etc.)
  • Add required A records and port 80 vHosts, so all domains work via port 80
  • Looks like you have a working Certbot, so create certificates - see User Guide — Certbot 2.7.0.dev0 documentation
  • If no one of the older certificates is used, use certbot certificates to see your certificates and certbot delete to delete the certificates with the expired domain name. That must be the last step.
2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.