Certificates ban for Russian government websites following the WAR in Ukraine

I'm not advocating war, I'm telling you that banning private russian websites can have big drawbacks and very little effect on the war.

Yes, I am already picturing Mozilla, Google, Microsoft and Apple complying with that. /sarcasm

4 Likes

@lestaff please state company position.

Currently I hear two people literally advocating that some "drawbacks" is more important than war and killing thousands of people in tree weeks.

Please stop supporting .by/.ru/.su domains. They user and will be used to continue warfare on Ukraine.

Well, can you tell me how banning .ru .su and .by domains from getting a TLS certificate should stop bombs from raining on the Ukrainian people? (Hint: it doesn't)

4 Likes

See:

6 Likes

I'm not sure how the massive call of isolating Russian civilians and their businesses from the rest of the world is supposed to change the actions of the Russian government. Does anyone honestly believe that the owner of the local pub is going to phone his government representative and demand change? I don't even remotely claim to know all of the details of the current conflict, but what I do know from history is that drawing a hard line in the earth separating a people from the rest of the world with that people's government controlling everything (especially the narrative) on that people's side of the line can result in (many of) that people becoming resentful towards (much or parts of) the rest of the world. Physical, cultural, and ideological distances can already be difficult enough to overcome without such a line.

4 Likes

You do not usually separate the people from their government, moreso in a democracy, because electors are f*cking supposed to be responsible for what their elected representatives do, reaping both positive and negative consequences.

Outside of a democracy, you can start assigning blame and fault to government and people independently. Up to a point, and remembering that the people usually are the first victims of autocratic regimes.

4 Likes

I think (and truly hope) that you can do so inside of a democracy as well. I certainly don't personally take the blame or fault for what the US government does, but I do unfortunately take the blowback, much like what is being doled out on the Russian citizenry right now.

Have you seen the world lately? I feel like many/most of the peoples of the west are fed up with their governments' failures.

3 Likes

Fault and responsibility are different things.

If electors do not take responsibility, it just means they have no power -- and that's a lot more revealing. A system either is a democracy, and electors have most power, or it isn't.

Power and responsibility must go together. There isn't one without the other.

3 Likes

I concur. What do you do when a government loses its way and sustains its state through duping its people and other nefarious means? Many/most existing democracies don't have a check against government disobedience/corruption (like the US second constitutional amendment). Even with such a check, how far will a people let things fall before saying "enough is enough"? Unfortunately, it's not so simple. For those of us in the US, which is a relatively young country, our civil war was not so long ago and we remember it quite well.

3 Likes

A dictatorship isn't a dictatorship unless a sizeable part of the populace supports (i.e. fights for) the dictator. Even in a dictatorship, a large number of people are to blame for keeping the dictator(s) in power. I see that as just a shade different from a democracy gone awry.

One could observe that a difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is the instrument of voting: ballots versus fists. The former can readily turn into the latter. The other way around, not so much.

3 Likes

Most democracies have those checks in separation of powers.

But, well, if democracy falls, you can only go for a revolution and heads rolling, and even the second amendment means sh*t: it's not like you're going to follow the law while executing a revolution. (Yeah, you'll have easier access to firearms, but that wouldn't be an issue, the black market provides)

Not really. Some dictators came to power by winning elections, yes, but they wouldn't be dictators if they could win them again, playing fair.

3 Likes

I regard it as completely unimportant who in the party will vote and how, but it is extremely important who will count the votes and how.

- Joseph Stalin

I care not who casts the votes of a nation, provided I can count them.

- Napoléon III (nephew of Napoléon Bonaparte)

Indeed, you won the elections, but I won the count.

- Anastasio Somoza García

4 Likes

In-

f*cking-

deed.

4 Likes

I still don't see the reaction from @lestaff
I see only people who advocating war through all mentioned here threads.

Two weeks since last response from staff, we fighting for our lives and letsencrypt company seems to be making as little as they can.
Within two weeks thousands of innocent people were killed, residential areas, theater, hospitals and maternity hospitals were bombed.
Don't you want to update your company policy accordingly?

1 Like

Please don't advocate your (emotional?) interpretation of certain posts as facts. That's unfair and is not contributing to a fruitful discussion nor contributing to your arguments IMHO.

I'm convinced nobody here is actually advocating war, it's just not as simple as you're stating. Let's Encrypt/ISRG is a legal entity. It can't make decisions based on emotion. Please respect that.

6 Likes

You are lying. Stop it. You've been given a link to LE's response twice. I'm sorry that you don't like it, but you still have it.

6 Likes

Thanks everyone for the discussion. The core of the original post has been responded to and re-responded to so I'm marking this thread closed.

11 Likes