Certificate Renewal issue

Hi, my homesite keeps getting this error. I have only one certificate. For site registered under duckdns.org. All older ones should have expired a while ago.

Renewing an existing certificate
An unexpected error occurred:
There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new order :: too many certificates (5) already issued for this exact set of domains in the last 168 hours: domain.com. : see Rate Limits - Let's Encrypt
Please see the logfiles in /var/log/letsencrypt for more details.

Please help. I am using a pre-configured server that only uses LetsEncrypt script to request the certificate.
Thanks.
Kal

1 Like

Welcome to the Let's Encrypt Community, Kal :slightly_smiling_face:

You're seeing that error message because you have been too successful in acquiring Let's Encrypt certificates. You have hit the duplicate certificate rate limit as indicated in your error message. It sounds like you might be having trouble installing your certificate. If you post your domain name, we can probably help with that.

1 Like

You can see the port closures here:

https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

1 Like

Both 80 &443 are open. I have blocked ips by country. If you are not in the USA.

It is now working. Thank you.
Can others see the DNS above. If so, I would rather delete it from the chat.

1 Like

I'm puzzled. Closed ports usually interfer with the certificate issuance, which clearly wasn't the problem here, seeing the reported problem was too many certificates issued.

Could you explain what the issue exactly was in this case, might people come across this thread when they search their problem?

2 Likes

Sure. I am not 100% sure. But my home router port forwarding keeps renaming and changing the internal IP addresses to some unusual IPs even though I have them listed as Static. So I recreated the portforwarding as per your email and all was good.

Thanks.
Kal Osman

2 Likes

This may pose a problem for HTTP authentication/verification (with future renewals).

1 Like

I use the popular WordPress hosted with Ubuntu 20.04.2 which seems to straight forward

minimal errors surfaced in practice

I went to the OP's site and there is no certificate as much as Chrome could detect

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.