Cert expiration with hardware failure..repairs pending

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: www.waltr.org/www.waltr.net/www.rugs.hopto.org

I ran this command: <UPS failed…server down at remote site – normally runs certbot>

It produced this output:

My web server is (include version): Apache 2.

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): FreeBSD 10

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):no. power failed.

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):no

I have been getting cert expiration/renewal messages for a server that is presently down (due to a failed UPS). The problem is that this server is at a remote site and I won’t be able to get to it for a while. It is a non-critical server, used mainly for personal note taking, so its failure is not an operational problem, but it will not be put back on the air for several days to weeks, when I can travel to the site to fix whatever ails it.

It uses certbot which has been working well until the power supply failed, (all the stuff plugged into the commercial mains is, naturally working…oh the irony of it). Will I need to start from scratch, and rebuild the certs, or can the be renewed after expiration? It’s been a long time since I paid any attention to this area as things just seemed to be working well.

Thanks…

Hi @waltr,

The certificate can be renewed after expiration just the same as before expiration.

A renewal is really a new certificate issuance in general, so you won’t have a problem renewing after expiration. The renewal command just simplifies the process by using the same settings as the initial issuance.

Thanks guys…I always find clarifications on why things work the way they do very helpful. Much appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.