Cerbot Lightsail Error Timeout RAM issue

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is: private
I ran this command: ./cerbot-auto renew --apache2

It produced this output: all good, here is your cert

My web server is (include version): 16.04 LTS

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): aws lighstail linux 4.4.0-78-generic

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: AWS lightsail $5 tier 513MB ram

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):No

I have been using certbot-auto on an apache2 ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS on AWS lighsail $5 tier.

I partitioned a permanent fileswap of 1GB to handle the certbot load on ram. I also changed the swapiness ctl file from a 100 to 10, but after the first certificate renewal, I am getting an “error timeout”, not loading my website.

No number error codes to reference, firewalls are all open for port 22, 80, 443. I am banging my head to try to figure this out.

Is there a way to look at an error log, if so, what is the command line so I can post it here.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi @grq79,

I didn’t really understand what problem you’re encountering because you first said that you received a success message (but I guess you had a different problem on an attempt to obtain a subsequent certificate)?

You can find logs for Certbot in /var/log/letsencrypt.

It is something to do with memory on AWS ligthsail; I am using the 512MB ram tier.

I’ve partitioned permanent swapfile space of 2GB for the ram, but I am still getting a timeout error with no codes to reference.

I’ve pinged,and netstate and the website just hangs with no response back.

I’ve also used “htop” to see what resources are being hogged, but there is nothing. Mem column is only half used, swapfile space is not used at all.

Not sure what other monitors to run to troubleshoot an error code or how to proceed.

I’ve also tried spinning up cloned instance on a higher level lightsail tier with enough ram, but nothing.

If you’re sure that it’s a problem with memory, you could consider switching to one of the bash-based clients like acme.sh because they use less memory than Certbot does.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.