Cant log in to Mattermost?

in several places it suggests you "come talk to us on Mattermost" but when you click the link, you are ONLY able to log in, there is no method to create an account. so i went directly to the mattermost web site and created an account, then attempted to use it to log in to https://opensource.eff.org. but that didn't work. HOW am i supposed to do this?

1 Like

Hi @davecotter

this isn't a Letsencrypt relevant question.

Please ask mattermost.

1 Like

Or ask EFF.org directly.
Let's Encrypt is merely a subsidiary (at best) of EFF.
[and not directly responsible for that content]

1 Like

Hello

It is true that "mattermost" is not part of this forum. No one's trying to be rude but this matter should be taken up with them at their website.

Couple things to come to mind though, did you receive a confirmation email when you signed up and did you follow through with your email confirmation? That may be slowing things down a bit otherwise I would use the forgot your password link and attempt to reestablish access to your account.

2 Likes

I beg your pardon? 

1 Like

Is it the other way around?

1 Like

@rg305 EFF is just one of many companies involved with ISRG (i.e., Let's Encrypt). Think of board members, sponsorship. As far as I know, in no way ISRG is a subsidiary of anything or anyone.

1 Like

Yes, it seems I must have confused EFF with ISRG.
Hard to keep up with "companies" whose books aren't "open sourced" like regular stock companies.
Despite there being a stock ticker symbols: ISRG and EFF
(they are completely unrelated to these two entities)

And since I'm only an unpaid apprentice volunteer here, I've never seen who signs the checks nor where they come from - LOL

1 Like

perhaps i should have provided these details: yes i definitely did click on the confirmation email, and successfully logged into the mattermost web site. back on the eff web site, that log in would still fail. i attempted the "forgot password" button, but never got an email. so i think the account maintained by eff is unrelated to the one at mattermost. just that eff provides no method of CREATING an account, so i can't log in there to chat with them about the fact that i can't log in there.

2 Likes

If you go to https://certbot.eff.org/contribute you can see the link "EFF’s Mattermost instance for its open source projects". It seems to have an invite link hardcoded, which results in a register form for Mattermost.

Perhaps you need to register through that specific invite?

3 Likes

Although that would make sense most days of the week... it's not making much sense today.
How would requiring a linked registration handle those whom have already registered with Mattermost?
[seems a bit over-secured]

1 Like

I have absolutely no idea. I don't even know what "Mattermost" is, what benefit I can get of it or whatever :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yes yes!
I think we are both subscribed to "WhatMattersLeast!" :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, this is how you get access.

Mattermost is self-hosted by EFF, you need to register using the invite link.

Registering on mattermost.com or whatever is unrelated.

1 Like

I'm guessing there are other invite links besides the URI shared on https://certbot.eff.org/contribute ? I'm wondering, why is it invite only anyway if the invite tokens are public knowledge?

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.