Can't create new certificates

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: rededucation.com

I ran this command: sudo certbot certonly -n -agree-to-tos --email certificates@rededucation.com -a certbot-route53:auth -d login.google.rededucation.com

It produced this output:
An unexpected error occurred:
AssertionError: PREFIX_FREE_DISTRIBUTIONS messed up
Please see the logfile ‘/tmp/tmp2vYI_n’ for more details.

If you’d like to see the contents of /tmp/tmp2vYI_n it’s below:

2017-12-08 21:24:27,554:DEBUG:certbot.log:Exiting abnormally:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/bin/certbot”, line 11, in
load_entry_point(‘certbot==0.18.2’, ‘console_scripts’, ‘certbot’)()
File “build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/certbot/main.py”, line 735, in main
plugins = plugins_disco.PluginsRegistry.find_all()
File “build/bdist.linux-x86_64/egg/certbot/plugins/disco.py”, line 205, in find_all
"PREFIX_FREE_DISTRIBUTIONS messed up")
AssertionError: PREFIX_FREE_DISTRIBUTIONS messed up

My web server is (include version):AWS route 53 if you’re asking about the authentication used to generate certificates

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu 16.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: None

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):

Hi! I’ve been using certbot somewhat unreliably for a few months now to create various certificates for the company, but certbot’s stopped working, throwing the strange error above, and it’s not resolvable by any tweaks through pip2.7 install… But I’m happy to try some if anyone can suggest some?

@joohoi, do you have any thoughts about what could be causing this error?

I’m sorry that we don’t have a sensible way to install the DNS plugins currently, but we’re working on it.

This happens when Certbot sees multiple versions of same plugin for reason or another. And it’s most likely a result of pip installed packages getting out of sync in your virtualenv.

If possible, you could recreate your Python virtualenv and reinstall the packages, that should fix this issue for the time being.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.