Cannot lookup A record for domain

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better.

My domain is: pokemonmapper.net

I ran this command: ./certbot-auto certonly --standalone -d pokemonmapper.net -d www.pokemonmapper.net

It produced this output: Failed authorization procedure. www.pokemonmapper.net (tls-sni-01): urn:acme:error:connection :: The server could not connect to the client to verify the domain :: DNS problem: networking error looking up A for www.pokemonmapper.net, pokemonmapper.net (tls-sni-01): urn:acme:error:connection :: The server could not connect to the client to verify the domain :: DNS problem: networking error looking up A for pokemonmapper.net

My operating system is (include version): raspbian 4.4 (jessie)

My web server is (include version): nginx 1.6.2

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: self hosted, domain through namecheap.com

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know): yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): no

I’ve tried both webroot and standalone, and receive the same error. The website is up and running, with no CloudFlare. I’m hosting it using nginx on my raspberry pi, where I am running the certbot command.

I’m having the exact same issue as you.

This is starting to sound like a DNS Server problem on letsencrypt’s side?

Has anyone heard updates from the community?

This same problem is happening for me as well. I added the --staging flag and it succeed fine, so i’m guessing this is an DNS issue with the production server.

That is some uncanny timing.

1 Like

The staging flag got me through… must be a server issue. Thanks!

Thank you very much, the --staging flag worked!

No Problem, Just remember the staging certs aren’t valid, so hopefully they fix this issue asap.

Ah, okay, thanks! I was wondering what was up with my site. I never looked into “staging” certs so I wasn’t certain what they did.

Hope they get this fixed quickly as well.

Same problem here.
IMPORTANT NOTES:
     - The following errors were reported by the server:
       Domain: www.myfunnydomain.com
       Type:   connection
       Detail: DNS problem: networking error looking up A for
       www.myfunnydomain.com
       Domain: myfunnydomain.com
       Type:   connection
       Detail: DNS problem: networking error looking up A for
       myfunnydomain.com

My cert expired yesterday, and I am not able to renew nor create a new one. :[

A problem was discovered with the validation service causing new validations to fail. It is up and running again.

https://letsencrypt.status.io/

Verified Back working

Can confirm here as well, problem seems resolved.

Can confirm here as well, it is broken again?

Still not working for me :

"error": {"type": "urn:acme:error:connection","detail": "DNS problem: networking error looking up A for packages.crapouillou.net","status": 400},

No HTTP req seems to hit my server :-/ (DNS records are fine).

same here :confused: does not seem to be working

had same problem, working now

Confirming it now works, that new yesterday downtine is not mentioned on http://letsencrypt.status.io/

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.