Apache plugin fails to parse subdomain configuration

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. https://crt.sh/?q=example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: justsudoit.com

I ran this command: sudo certbot renew --dry-run --apache

It produced this output:

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
	Processing /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/justsudoit.com.conf
	Cert not due for renewal, but simulating renewal for dry run
	Could not choose appropriate plugin: The apache plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration.
	The error was: PluginError('There has been an error in parsing the file /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/pfix.conf on line 16: Syntax error',)
	Attempting to renew cert (justsudoit.com) from /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/justsudoit.com.conf produced an unexpected error: The apache plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration.
	The error was: PluginError('There has been an error in parsing the file /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/pfix.conf on line 16: Syntax error',). Skipping.
	All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:
	  /etc/letsencrypt/live/justsudoit.com/fullchain.pem (failure)

** DRY RUN: simulating 'certbot renew' close to cert expiry
	**          (The test certificates below have not been saved.)

All renewal attempts failed. The following certs could not be renewed:
	  /etc/letsencrypt/live/justsudoit.com/fullchain.pem (failure)
	** DRY RUN: simulating 'certbot renew' close to cert expiry
	**          (The test certificates above have not been saved.)
	1 renew failure(s), 0 parse failure(s)

My web server is (include version):
Package: apache2
Version: 2.4.29-1ubuntu4.12

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Ubuntu 18.04.4

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
AWS

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don’t know):
yes

I’m using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
no

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you’re using Certbot):

You will note that the error message says there is a syntax error on line 16, but the config is only 15 lines long. I have multiple subdomains, all of them with identical conf files in the /etc/apache2/sites-enabled directory (except for “ServerName” and “DocumentRoot”). When renewing without the apache plugin (ie., stopping the webserver, then running sudo certbot renew works fine.) I would prefer to not have to stop the apache server in order to renew if possible.

What’s the contents of /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/pfix.conf? Please paste the contents as “Preformatted text” (with the </> logo in the text editor bar above).

/etc/apache2/sites-enabled/pfix.conf

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
 <VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName pfix.justsudoit.com
    Redirect / https://pfix.justsudoit.com
 </VirtualHost>
 <VirtualHost _default_:443>
    ServerAdmin mattlloyd37@gmail.com
    DocumentRoot /var/www/pfix/public
    ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
    CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined
    SSLEngine on
    ServerName      pfix.justsudoit.com
    SSLCertificateFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/justsudoit.com/fullchain.pem
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/justsudoit.com/privkey.pem
 </VirtualHost>

Certbot might be unhappy that there’s no </IfModule> at the end.

3 Likes

Adding </IfModule> to the end made no difference. After reloading apache, and rerunning sudo certbot renew --dry-run --apache it throws the same error message, only now complaining about line 17 (the config is now 16 lines long with the addition). I don’t know where his phantom line is coming from.

Are there definitely no trailing bytes?

tail -c 8 /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/pfix.conf | xxd

Okay, I tried using the config from your post, and got the same error:

root@a42173caeee4:/# certbot --apache -d pfix.justsudoit.com --staging --register-unsafely-without-email --agree-tos
Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
The apache plugin is not working; there may be problems with your existing configuration.
The error was: PluginError('There has been an error in parsing the file /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf on line 16: Syntax error')

(There’s only 15 lines in the file).

Adding the terminating </IfModule> as suggested by @mnordhoff did fix it.

You might have to make the same change to any other files with the same problem as well …

What line did you place </IfModule> at?

Just at the end.

<IfModule mod_ssl.c>
<VirtualHost *:80>
    ServerName pfix.justsudoit.com
    Redirect / https://pfix.justsudoit.com
</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost _default_:443>
    ServerAdmin mattlloyd37@gmail.com
    DocumentRoot /var/www/pfix/public
    ErrorLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/error.log
    CustomLog ${APACHE_LOG_DIR}/access.log combined
    SSLEngine on
    ServerName      pfix.justsudoit.com
    SSLCertificateFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/justsudoit.com/fullchain.pem
    SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/letsencrypt/live/justsudoit.com/privkey.pem
</VirtualHost>
</IfModule>

You mentioned:

If they have the identical mistake, then you might need to fix each of them individually.

Okay, I think I figured out why it didn’t work the first time I tried adding that line. I believe it had to do with the indentation level. Anyway, I added the line to all my subdomain configs and all is working now. Thank you to everyone who assisted with this, much appreciated!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.