Apache 2.4 on Debian 8 - Letsencrypt client fails to detect VirtualHost

I am running out of luck. When running

letsencrypt --apache -d mediawikiwidgets.org -d www.mediawikiwidgets.org

I get to the point that I have to select the VirutalHost for mediawikiwidgets.org. However my “www.mediawikiwidgets.org.conf” file is not detected. I only get to choose from “000-default.conf” and “default-ssl.conf”. Consequently the tool fails with

Failed authorization procedure. mediawikiwidgets.org (tls-sni-01): urn:acme:error:connection :: The server could not connect to the client to verify the domain :: Failed to connect to host for DVSNI challenge, www.mediawikiwidgets.org (tls-sni-01): urn:acme:error:connection :: The server could not connect to the client to verify the domain :: Failed to connect to host for DVSNI challenge followed by - The following errors were reported by the server:

Domain: mediawikiwidgets.org
Type: connection
Detail: Failed to connect to host for DVSNI challenge

Domain: www.mediawikiwidgets.org
Type: connection
Detail: Failed to connect to host for DVSNI challenge

I may note that “www.mediawikiwidgets.org.conf” contains “www.mediawikiwidgets.org” and “mediawikiwidgets.org” as server names.

Is there a way to force the tool showing all files in /etc/apache2/sites-available/ for me to do the challenge successfully. Is there another way to do pass the challenge.

Thanks for your time.

Omg, it seems I forgot to enable mod_ssl :frowning:

Does not change a thing. Whatever, there is also a config error in the VirtualHost.

Yeah, no idea what is going on:

No vhost exists with servername or alias of: mediawikiwidgets.org. No vhost was selected. Please specify servernames in the Apache config

Just to clarify, is this VirtualHost only available in /etc/apache2/sites-available, or also in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled? Not sure if the client looks at sites-available for that feature, since those sites aren’t actually enabled (which you can do with a2ensite).

If that doesn’t help - mind sharing www.mediawikiwidgets.org.conf?

Yes, it is also at /etc/apache2/sites-enabled together with other VirtualHosts. The sites are actually up and running. This is the VirtualHost:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin my@email.tld
        ServerName www.mediawikiwidgets.org

DocumentRoot /var/www/htdocs/mw/02120/

</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin my@email.tld
        ServerName mediawikiwidgets.org

RedirectPermanent / http://www.mediawikiwidgets.org/

</VirtualHost>
<VirtualHost *:443>
        ServerAdmin my@email.tld
        ServerName www.mediawikiwidgets.org
        ServerAlias mediawikiwidgets.org

RedirectPermanent / http://www.mediawikiwidgets.org/
</VirtualHost>

The client currently doesn’t support configurations with multiple VirtualHosts per file, see:

Ouch, I actually read this but for an unknown reason I regarded the .conf file as one entity = one virtual host. This was a bit silly of me. So the bottom line is that I should create multiple files (up to four) for each website. Never done this but it should probably work. I will try. Thank you for pointing out to the obvious. Senior moments on my end. :expressionless:

I can understand that it probably will not be an easy task to implement this. Anyway thank you for your help! Much appreciated.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.