An unexpected error occurred: requests.exceptions.ConnectionError:

Please fill out the fields below so we can help you better. Note: you must provide your domain name to get help. Domain names for issued certificates are all made public in Certificate Transparency logs (e.g. crt.sh | example.com), so withholding your domain name here does not increase secrecy, but only makes it harder for us to provide help.

My domain is: regix.tk / panel.regix.tk

I ran this command: certbot certonly --apache -d panel.regix.tk

It produced this output:

Saving debug log to /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log
Certificate not yet due for renewal

You have an existing certificate that has exactly the same domains or certificate name you requested and isn't close to expiry.
(ref: /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/panel.regix.tk.conf)

What would you like to do?

1: Keep the existing certificate for now
2: Renew & replace the certificate (may be subject to CA rate limits)

Select the appropriate number [1-2] then [enter] (press 'c' to cancel): 2
Renewing an existing certificate for panel.regix.tk

Successfully received certificate.
Certificate is saved at: /etc/letsencrypt/live/panel.regix.tk/fullchain.pem
Key is saved at: /etc/letsencrypt/live/panel.regix.tk/privkey.pem
This certificate expires on 2022-11-15.
These files will be updated when the certificate renews.
Certbot has set up a scheduled task to automatically renew this certificate in the background.
An unexpected error occurred:
requests.exceptions.ConnectionError: HTTPSConnectionPool(host='supporters.eff.org', port=443): Max retries exceeded with url: /subscribe/certbot (Caused by NewConnectionError('<urllib3.connection.HTTPSConnection object at 0x7f1b1a1e28c0>: Failed to establish a new connection: [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution'))
Ask for help or search for solutions at https://community.letsencrypt.org. See the logfile /var/log/letsencrypt/letsencrypt.log or re-run Certbot with -v for more details.

If you like Certbot, please consider supporting our work by:

My web server is (include version): The latest ubuntu with apache

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version): Ubuntu latest

My hosting provider, if applicable, is: cloudflare and me

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know): yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel): PuTTY

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot): certbot 1.21.0

Welcome @Frezze

I am about to sign-off for the night but want to warn you about rate limits. You got 5 certs for panel.regix.tk today. Any more attempts with that name in the next week will fail with a rate limit error. See your cert history here

You are not having any trouble getting certs. You must have some sort of problem configuring your server. Or, what looks like multiple problems. I get an http error 500 making an http request to that domain. And, https requests to your domain are refused.

Please wait for someone else to advise you about your server before you make an even bigger problem. Do not try deleting certs. Do not try revoking them. Those actions will make things worse.

3 Likes

Everything here has succeeded.

This is Certbot failing to subscribe you to the EFF mailing list. It's not a fatal error and won't affect your certificate or webserver. You can safely ignore this.

3 Likes

yeah really? But then it breaks off after that without asking me anything like the email address etc..

That format of the command only gets a cert. You need to configure the HTTPS (port 443) VirtualHost yourself. Had you not stated certonly the --apache plug-in would have configured apache HTTPS for you. It is not wrong to use certonly - I am just describing the behavior.

Alas, you cannot retry without certonly right now because you already used up your limit of certs for that specific domain name.

For assistance configuring apache and your VirtualHost, see:

3 Likes

What shows?:
certbot certificates

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.