Alpine Linux Python Missing py-argparse - Unable to Install Certbot

After installing certbot from both Brew and Port on Mac, getting these errors even after just issuing “certbot” by itself:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/local/bin/certbot”, line 6, in
from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
File “/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 3036, in
@_call_aside
File “/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 3020, in _call_aside
f(*args, **kwargs)
File “/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 3049, in _initialize_master_working_set
working_set = WorkingSet._build_master()
File “/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 654, in _build_master
ws.require(requires)
File “/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 968, in require
needed = self.resolve(parse_requirements(requirements))
File “/opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.7/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 854, in resolve
raise DistributionNotFound(req, requirers)
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The ‘argparse’ distribution was not found and is required by certbot

Has anyone had any similar issue?

updates:

Installed ‘argparse’ with easy_install. No difference.
Installed ‘virtualenv’, just because I saw that mentioned. No difference.
Checked that argparse is in sys.path. Yes it is. No difference.

I did notice that brew installed python2.7 again onto my machine and created links in /usr/local/bin, however the certbot script has hard-coded a link to the system version. I’m assuming when I do easy_install or pip, it’s using the versions returned by the path (/usr/local/bin/xxx), however certbot is calling the system version. I don’t believe the two would share installations, right?

Same problem here, updated certbot this morning on archlinux (arm). Even a certbot --version is not working anymore.

File "/usr/bin/certbot", line 6, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3036, in <module>
    @_call_aside
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3020, in _call_aside
    f(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 3049, in _initialize_master_working_set
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 654, in _build_master
    ws.require(__requires__)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 968, in require
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 854, in resolve
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The 'argparse' distribution was not found and is required by certbot

On arch: Install python2-argparse

This fixed it. Thank you :bouquet:

This error happens on a new Alpine Linux edge installation. It happened to me after an apk upgrade.
The workaround is to use alpine 3.5 (3.5.2) instead. However, certbot has a newer version on edge than on 3.5.2, so when I copied /etc/letsencrypt from the broken edge system to a new Alpine 3.5 system, and then run “certbot renew --dry-run”, I got warnings:
Attempting to parse the version 0.11.1 renewal configuration file found at /etc/letsencrypt/renewal/{domain}.conf with version 0.9.3 of Certbot. This might not work.

I would prefer using a newer version of certbot. Version 0.9.3 does not have the “certificates” command.

Here’s the error on Alpine edge (same as reported for archlinux, but with slightly different line numbers), which I install using LXD on Ubuntu 16.04:
lxc launch images:alpine/edge/amd64 edge
lxc exec edge ash
# apk add certbot
# certbot --version
File “/usr/bin/certbot”, line 6, in
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 3019, in
@_call_aside
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 3003, in _call_aside
f(*args, **kwargs)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 3032, in _initialize_master_working_set
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 655, in _build_master
ws.require(requires)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 963, in require
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/init.py”, line 849, in resolve
pkg_resources.DistributionNotFound: The ‘argparse’ distribution was not found and is required by certbot

Does my solution help?

Installing argparse doesn’t work on Alpine Linux, because it is already installed.
The argparse packages available on the Alpine edge main and community repositories are:
py3-configargparse-0.11.0-r1
py-configargparse-0.11.0-r1
py2-configargparse-0.11.0-r1

py-configargparse and py2-configargparse are already installed with certbot.

Alpine linux error with certbot - rfc3339 library not detected

It’s now fixed on Alpine edge: https://bugs.alpinelinux.org/issues/7179 They added the py-argparse package and a dependency to it. It may not be available on all mirrors yet.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.