Acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org unavailable via IPv6

I've tried to let the docker image nginxproxy/acme-companion and Gitea 1.17.1 automatically configure certificates for me. Both failed on a IPv6-only webserver since they could not reach https://acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org/directory. In Gitea, I saw that the DNS lookup for the URL resulted in an IPv4 address. This makes me suspect that there is a problem in the DNS records of acme-v02.api.letsencrypt.org. However, I have not been able to verify this via dig. What did work was using certbot manually. I suspect that certbot uses another endpoint.

My domain is:
arnold.huijzer.xyz

The operating system my web server runs on is (include version):
Ubuntu 22.04

My hosting provider, if applicable, is:
Hertzner

I can login to a root shell on my machine (yes or no, or I don't know):
Yes

I'm using a control panel to manage my site (no, or provide the name and version of the control panel):
No

The version of my client is (e.g. output of certbot --version or certbot-auto --version if you're using Certbot):
Via nginxproxy/acme-companion and the built-in Gitea manager.

Looks good to me:

Perhaps check if your container can access any other IPv6 resources (or any external resources at all).

6 Likes

IPv6 does not work in Docker containers out of the box. Have you configured IPv6 for your containers and verified that it is working?

7 Likes

Thanks, Christopher and Max!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.