Accidentally unsubscribed from notification email

Hello,
I accidentally unsubscribed from notification e-mail and this apparently affects all the accounts, since I am using the same e-mail address.
Is there a way to contact mailchimp to remove this restriction?
You are mentioning in the documentation that this can be un-done, but the process is manual. Would you please be able to assist?
Thank you!

2 Likes

There is a workaround where you can change your account email:

4 Likes

Much appreciated your answer! I've seen that work around, but I was looking to re-subscribe if possible with the same e-mail address. We have many let's encrypt accounts that we'd have to change. I think mailchimp can re-add the e-mail address, but I cannot make the request because I am not their customer. I was hoping you would be able to do that for us.

1 Like

Most of this forum, myself included, are just global community members. Only the LetsEncrypt actual staff have the ability to manually unsub.

Last I checked, LetsEncrypt has a standard policy of not entertaining re-subscription requests and directing users to change their account emails.

This situation is annoying and unfortunate -- and everyone wants a user-driven tool for this (which was not possible for a long time due to vendor limitations) -- but they honestly don't have the internal resources to address all these requests.

4 Likes

Thanks Jonathan!
I was actually hopping to get some support from Let's encrypt staff. I couldn't find a way to directly contact them - the Community support seems to be the only place to ask for assistance.

As I mentioned, we have many accounts configured with the same e-mail address and those are production accounts. If we change the e-mail address, do we need to re-activate that Let's encrypt account, or just save the settings?
Now I have another question - when we create new Let's encrypt accounts, if we use the same e-mail address, would that by any chance re-active the subscription?

Thanks!

1 Like

When you update the email address(es) on an ACME account, those email address(es) become active for Let's Encrypt notifications for all certificates issued for that ACME account, past and future.

No. Once an email address has been unsubscribed from a notification for any ACME account, it remains unsubscribed for a year across all ACME accounts.

2 Likes

How many accounts share this email address?

Updating the email is pretty simple within most clients - you just specify the new address, and the client prepares/sends the payload. You can do it all from one machine if you can collect the AccountKeys from each installation.

If you're looking at 20+ accounts, this could be scripted pretty easily. The following thread has at least 2 scripts (1 go, 1 ansible playbook) that are designed to check PrivateKeys are AccountKeys. IIRC, only the endpoint and payload would need to be modified to accomplish your goal:

2 Likes

If you have the ACME account keys as @jvanasco said and your ACME client doesn't happen to be very friendly about updating email addresses, you can use my ACME client CertSage to do the updates pretty handily albeit in a somewhat manual fashion. You would just rotate each account key into the account.key (production) or account-staging.key (staging) files then click to proceed without entering any domain names to only update the email address(es). CertSage supports entering multiple email addresses per ACME account if you want redundancy of notifications across multiple email addresses. It also supports entering no email addresses for a cleaner means of "unsubscribing" all email address(es) for a particular ACME account, which dodges the entire problem you've been facing. Entering any email addresses overwrites any existing email addresses on file, effectively "unsubscribing" any email addresses not currently entered when proceeding.

2 Likes

Thanks all! I have a friendly GUI interface to change the e-mail - much appreciated your solution though! I see there is no way to have it fixed otherwise....

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.